What is CalFresh?
CalFresh is a program that provides monthly food benefits for low-income individuals and families. It is California’s version of the federal program, Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP). CalFresh participants receive an EBT card that can be used at grocery stores and farmers markets throughout the County. However, the amount an individual or family receives depends on their income and a variety of factors.
How do I qualify?
The best way to find out if you qualify for CalFresh benefits is to apply. After you submit your application, an eligibility worker will schedule you for an interview. You can have an interview in person or by phone. Then, the eligibility worker will determine whether you qualify for benefits and how much.
According to a new law that is going into effect June 1, 2019, recipients of Supplemental Security Income (SSI) / State Supplementary Payment are now eligible for CalFresh. SSI and SSP recipients may apply for CalFresh starting now, but they will only receive benefits after June 1, 2019.
There are some online screening tools to help you determine whether you may be eligible:
- USDA — Food and Nutrition Service: www.snap-step1.usda.gov/fns
- Contra Costa County EHSD: www.mybenefitscalwin.org
- California Association of Food Banks: www.mycalfresh.org
- Food Bank of Contra Costa and Solano: www.foodbankccs.org/get-help/calfresh/calfreshinquiry.html
How can I apply?
There are several ways to apply for CalFresh:
- Online: at mybenefitscalwin.org. This is likely the fastest way to apply.
- Mail: EHSD Contra Costa County, P.O. Box 4114, Concord, CA 94524
- In person: You can pick up and drop off an application at any EHSD district office.
- West County:
- 1305 MacDonald Ave, Richmond, CA 94801
- 151 Linus Pauling Drive, Hercules, CA 94547
- Central County: 400 Ellinwood Way, Pleasant Hill, CA 94523
- East County:
- 4545 Delta Fair Blvd, Antioch, CA 94509
- 151 Sand Creek Road, Brentwood, CA 94513
- West County:
What if I need help with the application?
If you need help to complete the application, there are resources in Contra Costa County. The Food Bank of Contra Costa can assist you to fill out the application and answer questions. If you have more questions, you can call 211 or 1 (877) 505-4630.
If you are outside of Contra Costa County, call 211 to get connected to the CalFresh office in your County.