Skip links

Covid 19

Although information related to the Covid-19 Pandemic changes daily, please refer to the following sites & links for reliable, timely information:

Eviction Info:

  • Disability Rights California Self Help Guide and downloadable pdf (7/29/21)
  • Tenant Relief Act Information (7/16/21)
  • Emergency Rental Assistance Programs (7/1/21)
  • Contra Costa County Extending Eviction Protection and Rent Freeze Press Release. For more information. (6/22/21)
  • CA COVID-19 Rent Relief English and Spanish (6/22/21)
  • COVID-19 SB 91 tenant rights explained by Legal Services of Northern California English and Spanish (3/26/21)
  • Understanding California’s COVID-19 Tenant Relief Act (2/17/21)
  • Hardship Declaration of Covid-19 Financial Distress Form (English & Spanish) (2/12/21)
  • Concord Rental Assistance Info Flyer (2/12/21)
  • Concord Tenant & Landlord Info Flyer (2/12/21)
  • Contra Costa County Supervisors Pass an Ordinance to Extend Eviction Protections & Rent Freeze (as of 2/2/21)
  • The Covid-19 Tenant Relief Act – SB91 signed into law as of 1/29/21
  • Contra Costa County Ordinance for Eviction Protection (as of 9/23/20)
  • California’s Tenant Relief Act of 2020 Fact Sheet, also available in Spanish (as of 9/9/20)
  • Rental Assistance — Shelter Inc’s Rental Assistance Program Info and Rental Application Form

Food Insecurity:


Contra Costa County Homepage – timeline of Covid-19 announcements for Contra Costa residents.

Area Agency on Aging for Contra Costa – Various resources for older adults in the county that need support.

Health Insurance Counseling & Advocacy Program — Provides free & objective information and counseling about Medicare.

Law Help CA – Useful information about finding reliable legal help.


CCSLS provides free legal services to tenants who have legal issues related to their tenancy. To have your case evaluated, call (925) 609-7900.

CCSLS does not provide assistance to landlords seeking to evict tenants. To hire a private attorney, contact the Lawyer Referral and Information Service through the Contra Costa County Bar Association at (925) 825-5700.  The Contra Costa County self-help center has new drop-in hours as well — check out the court self-help center flyer in English or  Spanish.

The California court’s website has resources on housing matters, including evictions (unlawful detainers), foreclosures, and security deposits.

For an online tool to help a tenant with a Unlawful Detainer action, visit Tenant Power Toolkit.

For our info sheet on getting the security deposit you deserve, you can download it in English or download it in Spanish.

For the latest info on Residential Tenants’ and Landlords Rights’ & Responsibilities, see this booklet.

Legal Rights of Persons with Disabilities: Disability Rights in Housing

For federal housing law resources, check out the National Housing Law Project’s resource center on their website or call 415-546-7000. They have information about public housing, Section 8 Housing Choice Vouchers, and more.

For more information for tenants facing eviction view Self Help Guide and pdf from Disability Rights California.

CA Attorney General Resources

Know Your Rights – Rent Increase

Know Your Rights -Eviction

Know Your Rights – Habitability

Know Your Rights – Security Deposit

Know Your Rights – Landlords and Property Managers

Bay Area Legal Aid Resource Self-Help Eviction Defense Unlawful Detainer Answer Packet in English (9/2022)

To learn more about housing rights view CA Rights Department Know Your Housing Rights. (9/2022)

Information and Assistance Useful Housing Search Websites (1/2020)

Finding housing:

CCSLS does not assist clients who are searching for new housing. The Contra Costa County website has resources on finding affordable housing in the County. You can also contact them at (925) 674-7208.

Aging and Adult Services also provides resources through their Information and Assistance line for seniors and people with disabilities in Contra Costa County. You can contact them at (800) 510-2020 or (925) 229-8434 (if calling from a cell phone or outside of Contra Costa County).

Elder Abuse

CCSLS provides free legal assistance to seniors experiencing elder abuse.  Click here for more information on our services.  To have your case evaluated, call (925) 609-7900.

The California court’s website provides information about elder abuse and how to ask for an Elder Abuse Restraining Order.

  • View our presentation on Protecting Yourself: Elder Abuse and Financial Scams

Abuse in long-term care facilities: California Advocates for Nursing Home Reform provides information on elder abuse, focusing on nursing homes and senior residential facilities.  If you or someone you know is experiencing elder abuse in a long-term care facility, you can contact Empowered Aging on their website or at (925) 685-2070.

If you suspect that you or someone you know is experiencing elder abuse that takes place outside of a long-term care facility, you can make a report to Adult Protective Services at (877) 839-4347 or (925) 602-4179 (cell phones or calls made outside of Contra Costa County).

National Resources

Consumer Protection

Fraud, Scams, and Identity Theft

The National Consumer Law Center has resources on many topics, including bankruptcy, mortgages, loans, credit cards, and more.

CCSLS may be able to assist in cases in which a senior has been scammed by a “professional” such as a person who has sold someone an unnecessary security system. To have your case assessed, call (925) 609-7900.


  • Have debts that are in collection? Check out our Consumer Debt Collections Overview.
  • If you are being contacted by debt collectors, the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau has sample letters you can send, based on your individual circumstances. CCSLS can also assist with this.
  • If you have been sued by a creditor, we can assess your case and review your options with you. If you choose to respond to the complaint, we can prepare the documents for filing. It is important to make note of the exact date you were served and reach out for assistance as soon as possible. The deadline to respond is generally 30 days from the date of service.
  • We advise consumers to steer clear of debt settlement/debt relief companies. They charge a lot of money to do what you can do for free, either on your own either or with our assistance, and they can also cause you additional legal problems. Contact us if you have been treated unfairly by a debt settlement company or want to know your options for withdrawing from the program.
  • Bay Area Legal Aid hosts Consumer Rights Clinics where you can speak with an attorney about your consumer legal issues or whether bankruptcy makes sense for you. (Note: Bankruptcy rarely is the best option for low-income seniors who don’t own property.)
  • SparkPoint Workshop Calendar for June 2023
  • NCLC provides a guide on dealing with and stopping debt collection harassment.


CCSLS does not assist with bankruptcy cases; however, we can talk to you about debtor’s rights and give you referrals.  The Contra Costa County Bar Association hosts free bankruptcy clinics on a monthly basis. The Alameda County Bar Association Volunteer Legal Services Corp. also hosts monthly bankruptcy workshops (in Oakland, but CCC residents are eligible) in which they assist individuals who are representing themselves in Bankruptcy Court.  Call (510) 302-2222 for more information

Advance Health Care Directives

Advance Health Care Directives are important planning documents. CCSLS hosts clinics to prepare AHCDs.

Fact Sheet on AHCDs »

Durable Power of Attorney

Clients who are seeking to create a Durable Power of Attorney for their finances can contact CCSLS for an appointment at (925) 609-7900.

Fact sheet on DPOAs »

Other Resources for Seniors & Family Members

Legal Resources

LGBT Seniors

Health and Economic Stability

Justice in Aging provides an overview on resources for supporting seniors’ economic stability

Supplemental Security Income (SSI):

Social Security

The Social Security Administration retirement section provides information on how to apply for and manage benefits, including online applications.

Medicare / Medicaid

In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS)

Community Resources from Contra Costa County Employment and Human Services

Area Agency on Aging provides information and assistance regarding the resources available to Contra Costa County seniors.

SparkPoint offers free assistance to low income families and works with families to meet their basic needs, increase their income, build their credit, increase their savings, and reduce their debt. (Spanish)

Mediation / Out of Court Resolutions

SEEDS Community Resolution Center offers free mediation for individuals or families in conflict.  They are a partner in the Elder Abuse Prevention Project (Link to EAPP section).

Aging in Harmony provides mediation services for families for a fee.